Magazine recipe poisons some for not thinking

by James Hubbard, M.D., M.P.H.

I saw this link on foxnews.com about a cake recipe with a typo that ended up poisoning some people in Sweden who tried it, without thinking, I guess.  The magazine recipe should have said 2 pinches of nutmeg but, instead, called for 20 nutmeg nuts.  When the authors found out about the error they sent out corrections.

“At first we thought this would be enough, because we didn’t really think anyone would bake or eat this cake, since so much nutmeg would give it a horrible, bitter taste, and because it is simply not that easy to get hold of that much nutmeg,” Cocke said.

I am not sure how poisonous that much nutmeg is but even I, who burn canned soup, would know better.  (Come to think of it I have added salt to my coffee, but that’s before I had my caffeine, duh).   From years of experience I have found you should not assume anything when it comes to directions of use, but please, please, think and question before trying something that just does not sound right.  I know it was the magazine’s mistake, but come on.

Do any of you have any similiar (maybe less drastic) tales of woe?

Related Posts

Tags:

Related Posts

2 Responses to “Magazine recipe poisons some for not thinking”

  1. Mark Salinas Says:

    Oops!I have made the mistake of adding too much butter or milk….but c’mon people! Oh, yes I have added salt to my coffee as well. :)

    Mark Salinass last blog post..The Omnivore’s Hundred-Will you eat anything once?

  2. James Hubbard, M.D., M.P.H. Says:

    Thamks Mark,
    Salt in coffee, not tasty.

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge
© My Family Doctor 2010.
Magazine Web Design - M Digital Design Solutions for Publishers